- Meetings are to be scheduled no earlier than 9AM.
- Meetings are to end no later than 4PM.
- Meetings will not be scheduled before noon on Monday.
- Meetings will not be scheduled after noon on Friday.1
- Default meeting durations are 20 minutes, and can be no longer than 50 minutes.2
- The agenda should be clear, and never be “just to get on the same page.” Get on the same page before the meeting starts.
- Attendees will only be people who are directly related to the agenda.
- All attendees will be clear about the next actions and who is responsible for those actions before the meeting ends.
- Everyone must leave the room at the scheduled end time.3
- Whomever scheduled the meeting will be responsible for sending out the meeting’s notes and summary.
These guidelines were created to cut through the bullshit. Feel free to share with your co-workers and employers.
Rules 1-4 acknowledge that we are all human beings with human needs. No one pays enough attention early Monday or late Friday. ↩
Helpful if meeting space is tight and/or the distance between meeting spaces is great. ↩
Helpful if your meeting rooms are in constant use and scheduled back-to-back. It gives time to clean up and give the next meeting a chance to set up. ↩